Here at Jonah Ventures, we provide a complete lesson plan to incorporate eDNA into your classroom curriculum
Our Jonah Ventures lesson plan is tailored for 8th grade to college level students.
This lesson plan works best when accompanied by our JonahWater or JonahAnimal test kits.
The educational material combined with the test kit provides real-world metabarcoding analysis of a water body or animal diet, and applies it to classroom learning!
Our lesson plan includes:
- The students will understand what eDNA is and how it is used
- The students will learn the laboratory process from eDNA collection to data analysis
- The students will learn how primers work and be able to replicate the PCR process
- The students will understand Next Generation Sequencing
- The students will gain the ability to think critically about eDNA ecological applications.
Our lesson slides include interesting, easy-to-follow graphics to help students visualize complex topics relating to PCR, Next Generation Sequencing, and data analysis.
Our educational, hands-on activity reinforces what students learn from the lesson slides and, using eDNA, they will reconstruct a classroom fish assemblage or bison diet.
Herbivore Diet Reconstruction
Fish Assemblage Reconstruction
The JonahWater kit also comes with access to our JonahWater Data Portal, where you can see a list of the fish species and the relative abundance of algae in your water body. Your class can also explore the data collected by scientists and other students across the country!
This lesson plan is best suited for science-based classes, such as biology, ecology, conservation, and zoology. Please contact us with any questions for how you can fit it into your classroom curriculum.
Contact us about your classroom today!